to do then now would be retro, to do then then was very nowtro
Log in or Sign Up

Programming Languages

Programming Languages tlesher has used:

Timeline Graph
 
1984
1985
1986
1987
1988
1989
1990
1991
1992
1993
1994
1995
1996
1997
1998
1999
2000
2001
2002
2003
2004
2005
2006
2007
2008
2009
2010
2011
2012
2013
2014
2015
2016
2017
2018
2019
2020
AppleSoft BASIC
Commodore BASIC
6502 Assembly
C++
C
HyperTalk
Javascript
Python
Go
1984–1990
The summer after my fifth grade year my school got in a shipment of Apple IIe computers. Since they were going to sit idle until fall, they lent me one for the summer. Did a ton of Applesoft BASIC programming from then until I graduated from high school.
1986–1990
Got a C128 for Christmas in 1986. Spent about 40% of my free time playing Bard's Tale, Wasteland, Silent Service, and Red Storm Rising, and the other 60% trying to make clones of them.
1988–1990
After seeing one too many commercial games that appeared to consist of one line of BASIC (10 SYS 49152, of course), I started learning 6502 assembly language. I used an APPLE II programmer's guide and list of system routine addresses hand-copied from a friend's C64 Programmer's Reference to hand-code machine language. When I got to college and learned what an "assembler" was, I wept for the midnight hours I lost recalculating relative BNE/BEQ addresses after inserting instructions.
1991–
It puts bread in my jar.
1991–2012
At University they taught C in the first semester freshman CS courses, and C++ in the second semester. I somehow placed out of first semester but ended up learning C on the side when I started running a DikuMUD (ElnathMUD).
1992–1993
Built a distributed ticketing system with Hypercard for the Uni computing center.
1997–2013
1999–
Topmost tool in my toolbox nowadays.
2013–
Just dabbling so far.